Wednesday, March 28, 2012

This is how the world ends, not with a bang, but a blog.

(Picture taken in line at SCOTUS. Look at Jupiter!)

Welcome, welcome. I have finally pulled the trigger and started a blog. I hate myself a little bit, but my Thoughts must be shared with the World. It seemed to be the time as I only have two classes and I stopped watching television three weeks ago (Mad Men, I knew ye and coveted ye sartorial splendor well) and now all I do is read, bother my friends and long-suffering boyfriend who still have studying to do, stress about not having a job, eat yogurt, and sometimes openly weep from shame about using Pinterest.

A few things:
  • The title of this blog comes from my favorite section of G.K. Chesterton's What's Wrong with the World; Part Three, Chapter IV, "The Romance of Thrift." I mean, listen to this...
    Thrift is the really romantic thing; economy is more romantic than extravagance. Heaven knows I for one speak disinterestedly in the matter; for I cannot clearly remember saving a half-penny ever since I was born. But the thing is true; economy, properly understood, is the more poetic. Thrift is poetic because it is creative; waste is unpoetic because it is waste. It is prosaic to throw money away, because it is prosaic to throw anything away; it is negative; it is a confession of indifference, that is, it is a confession of failure. The most prosaic thing about the house is the dustbin, and the one great objection to the new fastidious and aesthetic homestead is simply that in such a moral menage the dustbin must be bigger than the house. [...] Now the aim of the good woman is to use the by-products, or, in other words, to rummage in the dustbin.
  • You all hate me already!
  • The first thing about me: I am a Christian. This is my God. This is my church. This how I want to live:
    Now this is our highest reward, that we should fully enjoy Him, and that all who enjoy Him should enjoy one another in Him. (Augustine, On Christian Doctrine)
  • While I'm a schismatic, I probably like Catholicism more than my school does. I majored in Russian History and then rejected the global citizenry track my Senior year. Alas, my diploma still attests to my nascent 18 year-old idealism that had yet to be replaced with conservative pessimism about American self-immolation that started circa 2011.
  • I reserve the right to quit this blog at any time and completely wipe it from the memory of my loved ones a la Eternal Sunshine of the Blogless Mind.
  • I can't wait to rummage in the dustbin.

Ready?

(The answer is "no.")

Let's do this!

2 comments:

  1. Hey J, I got your comment on The Last Name Project preface post. Several of the upcoming posts in the series from other women, men, and couples will highlight what I call (lightly) the problematic history of women changing their names (to their husbands').

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can't be fate that brought me here. We Calvinists don't believe in it. But something was at work when my Roman Catholic husband forwarded me your post from Back Porch Republic about the Hunger Games. We talked about it when he came home from school, walking around the kitchen with baby in his arms as I made the Marsala sauce. I got back on the computer tonight and ventured to this blog from the other and I'm feeling like I hit the jackpot.

    A woman. In D.C. (I used the live there). Reformed. Sympathetic to the Catholic church. And obviously a really talented, thoughtful writer. I think I just hit the jackpot. Can't wait to read more.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete